Monday, August 6, 2012

Finally! A Plant I Can Manage!

I will admit it freely: I am notoriously bad with plants of any kind.  Indoor, outdoor, in a pot, in the ground - it doesn't matter - it won't live long in my care. 

My past experiences seem to have no effect on my perpetual need to have something green around the house.  So earlier this spring I headed off to the Home Depot and grabbed 12 cute little hot pink geraniums for just $0.88 each.  I bought two planters to put on the front porch and a couple of smaller pots for my office and the kitchen.

Here's what they look like now:

Geranium in my office.  At least it still has SOME flowers, right?
(Here's a link to the cute robin's egg blue pot in the photo above, just in case you were wondering.)



Geraniums Beware!

 
My biggest problem has always been remembering to water them.  I am usually really good about doing it for the first 2 - 3 weeks and then they're on their own.  I occasionally remember here and there, but I've just never been able to adhere to a watering routine.
Like everyone else in the design world right now, I've been seeing terrariums everywhere.  These are just simple plantings in glass containers with a few succulents and some rocks.  Finally something I could manage, since succulents are arid climate plants and only need to be watered every two weeks.

The instructions I used to plant my terrariums are from Martha Stewart's website, which you can find here.

Martha's Terrarium


Below is a picture of my terrariums when I finished planting them:

3 Lovely Terrariums!
And here is a closeup:



I already had the largest vase, and picked up the other two for less than a dollar each at a thrift store.  I decided to go with all cylinders, to keep the shapes similar, but to vary the height, knowing that I was going to put them in a grouping together on my coffee table.



For the river rock, I used actual stones I gathered from the Little Miami, about two blocks from my house.  But you can buy river stones from the garden center at Home Depot.  I used Miracle Gro's Cactus, Palm and Citrus Soil, also purchased from Home Depot.  I used a comination of Echeveria and Mimicry species.

These little beauties have lasted all summer long with very little watering.  They are also an idea for an easy hostess or housewarming gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment