Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kitchen Paint Colors: Done!

I finally made a decision for the paint colors for the cabinets and walls in the kitchen.  Since we're just doing a low-budget remodel for now, I need colors to work with the existing countertop and backsplash. 

I chose Valspar Allen + Roth Sunday Times ar915 for the cabinets and Ultra White 7006-24 for all of the woodwork trim in the house.  I wanted a clean white for all of the woodwork and a slightly more yellow-cream white for the cabinets.  I've used Sunday Times before for a picture frame project, and it looks really nice when you distress the edges with 220 grit sandpaper to expose the wood underneath.  I'm considering doing this technique to the cabinets, but we'll see how ambitious I'm feeling when the time comes.

For the walls, I swear I tried just about every greyish neutral that Lowes had, and I ended up going with a color that I've loved for a long time, but have yet to use.  Home Depot's Martha Stewart line of paints has around 230 colors, but let me tell you, the collection is meticulously curated to only include the best colors.  So I'm going with Bedford Gray MSL246 for the walls in the kitchen, and will probably continue the color into the dining and living rooms.  I made sure that I liked the color against all of the stonework around the fireplace and the room divider/planter between the living and dining rooms.




Patrick has all next week off, since he's only taken one vacation day this whole year so far, he needs to use it before the end of December.  We're planning to tackle the kitchen then.  It will be a low-cost update that I know will make a big impact. 

The only thing I'm held up on is the finish I want to use for the cabinet hardware.  I keep getting pulled into the black iron finishes, although I always end up using brushed nickel everywhere.  What do you think?

Source

Source

I went to the grocery store for the first time since moving in, and since we had pretty much nothing in the house to eat, I ended up spending $240+ on groceries.  The upside?  I won't have to shop for another month, and tonight we're having this:


Source

Now wipe the drool off and listen up.  This is the BEST meatloaf recipe ever.  I love all of Tyler Florence's Tyler's Ultimate recipes, but I've made this several times, and it's the only recipe I use now.  It's layered in bacon, people.  Amazing.  Get it here.  Thanks, Food Network.

I also picked up some Starbuck's Mocha Frappucinos while at the grocery store.  I've been wanting to try this recipe ever since I pinned it months ago (I've just been waiting for the weather to get colder).  Since I don't have the whipped creme vodka, but I do have Peppermint Schnapp's, I made a grown-up Starbuck's Peppermint Mocha.  And seeing how I woke up to a light dusting of snow thanks to Sandy, I think it's the perfect time for a fire and a cocktail while making dinner.

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment